Friday, September 16, 2011

From the Mom

Hello Blog of Connor Readers, :)

Our little man is almost 15 months old. It's hard to believe. Not gonna try to sugarcoat it, but the first year of the whole toddler + infant thing can be rough. I look back at it now, thankful that we are through it and, at times, amazed that we all survived. I can't tell you the number of times I was a little freaked about being in charge of two very small people and praying I wouldn't forget someone somewhere, only to be hunted down by the police and hauled away sobbing, "But I'm just so tirrrrrrrrreeeeeddddddd!!" Ok, that's a bit dramatic, as it was never THAT bad, but, yes, at times it was challenging. :) I received two great bits of advice from friends who had already been there, done that, and both kept me going on those rough days: "Somedays, you just have to put your head down and get it (that first year) done," and "The days are long, but the years are short." The second is SO true, as here we are, approaching Connor's 15 month birthday!

Today also marks the anniversary of when Connor was admitted to Children's Mercy for a 24 hour stay. Last year, Connor spiked a 102+ fever, which is always taken seriously in babies younger than 3 months. Connor spiked this fever on his 12 week birthday, which was just days shy of his official 3 month birthday. After being diagnosed at Urgent Care with an ear infection, Connor then saw his pediatrician for a follow-up appointment where we reported he had vomited since beginning his antibiotics. That, along with his listful demeanor, pale coloring, and high fever from the day before, prompted our pediatrician to admit him for testing and observation, as she feared meningitis. The little guy was a trooper and endured much testing, including a spinal tap, but all testing came back negative. The little guy was just fighting a strong virus and managed to scare us all in the process. Unbelievable to me that that was a year ago.

Today, Connor is a riot. He has an extra-cheesy smile he loves to turn on, especially for the camera. He likes to dance and loves to run up to me when I'm sitting and push me over. He loves to wrestle, especially with his Dad and Sister. He seems to have grown so much during his 14th month, and now chit-chats in baby talk much of the day. This often translates into whining, and that makes me more motivated to get this boy signing! Currently, he will sign sleep, drink, please (this one has been over-generalized for "more"), and blanket. Blanket is a new one, learned just this week, and a good one for him, as he is turning into quite the "Blankie Boy." He loves carrying his blanket around the house, and definitely needs it to sleep, although so far he doesn't HAVE to have it at all times during the day. I hope we can keep it this way, as I know constantly remembering his blanket would not be this scatter-brained mama's forte! For most of the summer, he has chanted "Row row row..." when he wants you sing "Row Row Row Your Boat." He also enjoys "Open, Shut Them," as is evidenced in the video in the prior posting. He frustrates his mama when he throws food on the ground, which is what he will do if he has announced he's done (will clap his hands once and say, "DONE!") and I don't move fast enough. He'll also throw food on the ground he's not interested in eating, such as hot dogs, meatballs, hamburger, basically all meats except chicken nuggets, although tonight he ate taco meat, thank God.

This week, he is also BIG into repetition. He will play independently, providing he has a full tummy, ha!, for quite awhile, more than I remember his sister doing at this age, which is great. He will push his cars and trucks around the entryway as well as play with various different balls. Also, just this week, he's starting to sort/stack. I remember Emily spending a good amount of time lining toys up a certain way, and Connor started doing that this week as I watched him take book after book out to stack in a pile, or ball after ball to place in a line. Watching things like that are so interesting to me - I'm just dying to know what they're thinking about when they're doing that!

I also have said this summer that I think Connor's theme song should be "Living On the Edge." When we play outside, his favorite spot to play is the street. He's not interested in staying close to Mommy OR holding my hand. He has no fear when it comes to walking down the stairs face first (and promptly falling), jumping on Emily's bed, or walking off the edge of playground equipment (thankfully, he's only tempted fate with this one, so far). He LOVES animals, and will walk straight up to dogs and is really getting pretty good at soft touches. Also, he is a lover. He loves to give kisses and gives great hugs. When he's getting sleepy, he's prone to sacking out on our legs to cuddle up with us.

We love our boy. Although we are finding raising a boy is WAY different than raising a girl, and requires a whole new kind of patience, we are having a blast with this little man, especially as his little personality comes out more and more each day. This coming year is going to be so fun as we watch Mr. Connor come into his own. Watch out for this one, world. He's coming for you!!

We love you, Connor!!

No comments:

Post a Comment